Everyone is a leader. People from all walks of life make a difference to others every day in ways they probably won’t ever know.
When I was a young boy the janitor at school, Mr. Presley, always had a smile on his face, a kind thing to say, and would gladly help you with anything – even if it wasn’t part of his job! He was always very busy doing something around the school.
One day I asked Mr. Presley “How come you work so hard all of the time?” Mr. Presley said “It makes me feel good to do a good job and if it’s worth doing I always try to do it the best I can. That goes for your school work too”.
I’ve thought about this interaction thousands of times over my life. It was the first time in my young life I understood you can make almost any kind of work fun.
Many years later, I learned that Mr. Presley put three kids through college with that job. His three children became a lawyer, a teacher, and a pharmacist. Now that is making a difference!
Who Has Influenced You the Most?
As leaders, we can learn from all the people we are in contact with each day. What have you learned from:
- Men and women in uniform?
- Neighbors and friends?
- Parents and family?
- Teachers and coaches?
- Managers and employees?
- Customers and vendors?
Think about who has had a meaningful impact on you and let the About Leaders community know who they are. One of the most appreciated compliments is letting someone know how they have positively impacted your life.
It’s Your Turn to Take the Lead
Now that you have identified a person that has had a positive, powerful influence in your life, please take a moment and write an article about that person.
Here’s things to include in your article:
- Leader’s Role: (example: parent, teacher, manager, coach, friend, acquaintance, etc.)
- What did they do that made a difference to you and/or others?: (increased belief in myself, taught me how to work hard, became my mentor, etc.)
- How did they do it?: (example: actions, behaviors, attitudes, core values, etc.)
- What were the results of his or her leadership influence?: (example: caused me to go back to school, I reunited with my spouse, I got a promotion, I learned to be more patient)
What Leaders Have Made a Difference in Your Life?
If you have ideas that you feel like sharing that might be helpful to readers, share them in the comments section below. Thanks!
Would you like to contribute a post?